Luisa Via Roma Banner

Monday, September 3, 2012

SLSStyle wants to support stylish friends and individuals alike. This is why each week I will conduct and interview with my most fashion savvy friends and people I meet.

This will give us an opportunity to appreciate others unique and individual sense of style, listen in on secrets and get the low-down on wear to pick up some of their fabulous finds.

My first interviewee is Alexandra DeClaris who is fast becoming a renowned handbag designer using only the most exotic skins available.

Her designs are available to purchase on her website
www.alexandra-declaris.com


How would you describe your style?
I would describe my style as classic and casual. I try to subtly incorporate the trends I admire for the season with my outfits because it keeps my look evolving and adds some character. I am a firm believer in investing in pieces you love, and I only follow trends that I find are interesting and I expect to see years later even if they do dissolve for the meantime. I think fashion is merely a cycle, trends are always re-hatching from past decades of the industry and I think many designers look back in time for inspiration. 

What do you love about NY street style?
NY street style is so fabulous. Anything goes in New York with fashion, and although you may not particularly relate with someone else’s avant-garde style you admire that person for actually putting it out there and generally you will see it on the runways by next season. People in NY are free to experiment with fashion and it is seen as more innovative and original rather than distasteful. 



Who are your favourite designers?
Such a loaded question! My favorite designers right now are Helmut Lang, Stella McCartney, Marni, Bottega Veneta, and Roland Mouret. Helmut Lang is my go to for the essential pieces in my closet. He does the best jackets, blazers, leather leggings, and sweaters so my day-to-day outfits are generally from his collections. I am loving all the corset Bottega Veneta pieces and I think they have effectively revamped their appeal to younger generations. Stella McCartney and Roland Mouret are pieces I adore because they have a way of integrating traditional elegance with form-fitting symmetry. I am not a pattern person but Marni always does it so right and funky. So when I go in to Marni I indulge in the loose patterned tops to pair with jeans that gives some flair to my casual day-to-day look. 

What are your holy grail beauty products?
I cannot live without my Clarisonic skin brush, Gel de la Mer moisturizer and Eve Lom eye cream. I also love By Terry eye concealer and Murad’s pomegranate lip gloss for every day.



Who or what influences your style?
I usually look through magazines when I want to see what’s new. However, nothing influences my style unless it is actually something I like and looks good on me. If I see someone wearing something I like on the street, I will usually ask where they got it or go on a mission to find it.  

5 pieces in your wardrobe you couldn't live without
My Helmut Lang leather skinnies, my black rabbit fur Joseph coat, my Fendi biker boots, vintage Levi Cut offs and J brand jeans. 

What are your favourite travel destinations?
My favorite places are the places that make you feel relaxed but have the element of the uknown. I love the Caribbean and the Bahamas because the islands are quiet, beautiful, and next to deserted. Greece is also one of my favourite places because I am Greek and I love the fresh food and history. I also love Africa because every place in Africa is so unique. I am going to Uganda next summer for the gorillas! 



What is your favourite bag in your handbag collection?
I love all of the bags equally but it just depends what kind of mood I am in. I love all the bright stingray box clutches for spring and summer. The envelopes are perfect for a more casual night out or something easy to walk around with during the day. My usual every day bag is one the python hobos because it is so lightweight and I am usually running around all day. When I am travelling or shopping and I want a more chic look I use one of the totes. 

Where are your favourite places to shop?
My favourite places to shop are Intermix, Opening Ceremony, Bergdorf Goodman, and Reformation in NYC as well as Brandy Melville for simple tees. In London, Zara is a weekly trip and Heidi Klein for all of my bathing suits and holiday wear. 

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment